Friday, October 21, 2016

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

I am a Gen Xer. According to the textbook, there are many distinguishing attributes of my generation. Some of these may be true in my case, others might be more accurate for other members of Generation X. I can definitely agree that the statement “It was the first generation of latchkey children—products of dual-career households” as both my parents did eventually end up working full time jobs.  My brother, also a fellow member of the Gen X community, and I often spent many days “…without adult support and guidance than any other age cohort” While this did make me more independent and more adaptable, I don’t know if growing up without my parents watching my every move made me more cautious or skeptical, because I feel like I did the same stupid teenage stuff that anyone else in “Generation X” did.
            I do think that as a result of us being the “first generation of the latchkey kids” we are the “generation…” that “primary target for marketers promoting family-oriented products and services” because we want to provide for our own family what we might feel like we were missing in our own lives and want make sure that we can ensure our own kids will not feel left out. 
One thing that I do know for sure as was quoted As one Gen Xer noted, “I don't know anyone in my age group who's ‘where they want to be’ from a financial perspective.” I think a lot of Gen Xers feel like we are doing everything we have been taught to do growing up, but still are getting ahead on life.  My generation is still struggling to make ends meet and to also try and save for our futures.




No comments:

Post a Comment